The City of Dexter is recruiting for area residents to serve as crossing guards. The goal is to have a crossing guard stationed at the pedestrian island located on Baker Rd. from approximately 7:30 am to 8:00 am and 2:50 pm to 3:20 pm. We are looking for area residents interested in serving in this capacity, even if it is just filling an occasional shift. Crossing guards will earn $14 per 1/2 hour shift (morning and afternoon are separate shifts). Days of work and shift assignments are flexible based on your schedule. Multiple positions are available, and training will be provided. For more information or to apply for the position please contact the City Office at 734-426-8303 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
The City of Dexter is recruiting for the position of Recording Secretary. The Recording Secretary will be responsible for attending City Council and Planning Commission meetings and producing written minutes of the meetings. Regular City Council meetings are held on the second and fourth Mondays of each month starting at 7:00 pm, and regular Planning Commission meetings are held on the first Monday of each month starting at 7:00 pm. These boards occasionally hold special meetings, and the Recording Secretary’s attendance at these meetings is desired, but not mandatory. The Recording Secretary is paid at a rate of $80 per meeting, including special meetings. Examples of prior City Council minutes (expected work product) is available on the City’s website at: https://www.dextermi.gov/government/cc.php. No experience necessary, and training will be provided. For more information or to apply for the position please contact the City Office at 734-426-8303 or e-mail email@example.com.
The City’s Employment Application Form is available on the City’s website at: https://www.dextermi.gov/Permits_and_Forms/General_Permits/Employment_Application_2020-02.pdf
Fall and Winter Leaf/Yard Waste Collection
Each Fall, the City of Dexter Department of Public Works (DPW) collects loose leaves. This is in addition to bagged compost collection by Waste Management and the DPW’s weekly brush pick-up. Leaf collection for Fall 2021 will start the week of October 11th. For the past few years, we have noticed that the leaves from the pear trees and oak trees, mostly located in the newer neighborhoods, have been losing their leaves later in the season. To accommodate this, we have created the following schedule for loose leaf and bagged compost collection. Residents are encouraged to sign up for the e-mail update to keep informed about any changes in this schedule due to the weather.
– Week of October 11th – Loose leaf collection starts.
– November – Brush pick-up and chipping switch to every other Wednesday. The November chipping dates are November 10th and November 24th.
– Monday, November 29, 2021 – Last day of bagged compost pick-up by Waste Management.
– Week of December 6th – Loose leaf collection ends. Residents are asked to have all leaves raked to the curb no later than Monday, December 6th at 7:00 am for pick-up that week.
– Bagged leaves will be picked-up by the DPW on December 22nd, January 5th, and January 19th. This is to accommodate the residents whose trees lose their leaves late in the season.
– No compost bag or leaf pick-up by the City or Waste Management will occur in February or March.
– Monday, April 4, 2022 – Bagged compost collection resumes.
Loose Leaf Collection Reminders
– Park cars as far away from leaf piles as possible
– Make sure that there is no debris in the leaf piles (garbage, sticks, etc.)
– Leaves should be raked in a line (windrow) as close to the curb as possible and not placed in the road.
– The closer the piles are to the curb, the quicker they are able to be collected by the City’s equipment.
Mill Creek Park Path Closure
Maintenance work on the boardwalk in Mill Creek Park will require it to be closed on Tuesday, October 5, 2021 from 7:00 to 11:00 am from the trail-head near Grand Street to the kayak launch. Trail users may detour around the closure by taking the “upper” asphalt path near Jeffords and Broad Streets.
Mill Creek Park Volunteer Day – October 24th
Have a green thumb? A workday in Mill Creek Park will be held on Sunday, October 24, 2021 from 8:00 am to 12:00 pm. Volunteers are welcome to come get their hands dirty as we work to plant new shrubs and plugs in various areas of Mill Creek Park. Volunteers are not required to stay the entire time. Come and join as your time allows!
Paint Dexter Plein Air Festival Painting Sale
The pieces produced during the August Paint Dexter Plein Air Festival, along with some pieces from previous Paint Dexter Plein Air Festivals have been posted for sale online. The artwork gallery is available at: https://sales.paintdexter.com/2021-paint-dexter-plein-art-gallery/. Additional information about purchasing artwork can be found at: https://sales.paintdexter.com/.
Please direct any questions regarding the sale to Justin Breyer at firstname.lastname@example.org or 734-580-2234.