From Dexter Community Schools:
We just spoke with the Washtenaw County Health Department and are closing school starting at the end of the day on Friday, March 13, 2020 until Tuesday, April 7, 2020. We know that this will create challenges for our families and we will provide updates on plans on Tuesday, March 17. The health and safety of our students is our top priority and we are in a situation where our plans call for closure.
Two of the Governor’s recommendations are directly impacting our decision and state:
- Cancel or postpone events with more than 100 people in a shared space.
- For organizations that serve high-risk communities, cancel gatherings of more than 10 people whenever possible.
- Find the full list of recommendations here.
We are currently scheduled for a half-day for students on Friday, March 13, 2020 and will have school as planned. After school care programs will continue tomorrow in order to provide parents with time to make alternative plans. No after school events will be held starting tomorrow until further notice.
As a school district, we regularly have over 100 people in a shared space (i.e., lunches, etc), serve high-risk students, and have employees who are increased health risk. We have an obligation to protect the safety of our students and staff.
For parents with children at Jenkins ECLC – we will be open on Friday, March 13, 2020. We will be closed on Monday, March 16, 2020 and staff should report. We will work on plans and options based on the information we have available at that time and will send an update to families of Jenkins students later in the day on Monday. Half day pre-school programming and ECSE classes at Bates are canceled until April 7th, 2020.
- Building and Grounds Staff, Secretaries, Nurses, and Bus Drivers – please report on Monday as scheduled
- Paraprofessionals and Food & Nutrition staff – please report Tuesday to your buildings and check your email for further clarification
- Teachers – please check your email on Monday and Tuesday regarding when to report, how to report, and further information. We will be working to build a plan and will need you to stay tuned via email.
Thank you for your continued support and we share in your concern for the safety of our students and community.