May is Skin Cancer Awareness Month. This is an opportunity to bring awareness to the most common form of cancer. Skin Cancer can be prevented by using these key tips from skincancer.org
- Seek the shade, especially between 10am and 4pm
- Do not burn
- Avoid tanning and UV tanning beds.
- Cover up with clothing, including a broad-brimmed hat and UV-blocking sunglasses.
- Use a broad spectrum (UVA/UVB) sunscreen with an SPF of 15 or higher every day. For extended outdoor activity, use a water-resistant, broad spectrum (UVA/UVB) sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher.
- Apply 1 ounce (2 tablespoons) of sunscreen to your entire body 30 minutes before going outside. Reapply every two hours or immediately after swimming or excessive sweating.
- Keep newborns out of the sun. Sunscreens should be used on babies over the age of six months
- Examine your skin head-to-toe every month
- See your physician every year for a professional skin exam
For more information, visit skincancer.org.
Foundation, Skin Cancer. 2018. May is Skin Cancer Awareness Month. April. Accessed April 26, 2018. https://www.skincancer.org/get-involved/skin-cancer-awareness-month.