Dexter Community Band’s winter concert will bring on the Bard at its Feb. 25 winter concert.
Conductor William Gourley has assembled a diverse selection of music, each with a tie to famed English playwright William Shakespeare.
· Felix Mendelssohn’s Wedding March from Midsummer Night’s Dream;
· The prelude to Macbeth, an opera by Giuseppe Verdi;
· The overture to The Merry Wives of Windsor, composed by Otto Nicolai;
· Shakespeare Pictures, a suite from Great Britain’s Nigel Hess, who once served as house composer for the Royal Shakespeare Company;
· Selections from West Side Story, the Leonard Bernstein/Stephen Sondheim collaboration based on Romeo and Juliet.
The 3 p.m. event, which is free to the public, will be held at the Center for Performing Arts in Dexter High School, 2200 North Parker Road, Dexter.
The band will play its final concert of the season on Sunday, April 29, 2018.
Founded in 1982, the Dexter Community Band is comprised of volunteer musicians from the local area. A registered 501(c)3 non-profit organization, the band performs professional-level symphonic wind music at four free concerts a year. There are also several free “Evening of Ensembles” featuring small groups from the band. For additional information about the band or how to provide financial support, please visithttp://www.dextercommunityband.org/.